During your initial visit and your continuing care appointments, we will assess your home care and gum health and provide you with customised instruction to ensure you’re effectively removing plaque from the teeth and gums-lines.
Dental disease such as cavities and gum disease are the result of plaque that has been left on the teeth and the gums too long. By regularly and effectively removing plaque, you can prevent dental disease.
Top Ten Reasons Not To Skip Your 6 Monthly Check-Up and Clean Appointment
Sure, a regular check-up and clean with our hygienist promotes good oral hygiene, but did you know it can also prevent a multitude of diseases? That 2 o’clock chair-side rendezvous may not seem nearly as exciting as a late lunch with a friend or those new shoes, but it will be well worth it in the end. Here are 10 really great reasons to stick with your regular 6 monthly prevention appointments!
- Earlier Oral Cancer detection. You may or may not realise that you’re screened for oral cancer during your regular check-up & clean. According to the Oral Cancer Foundation, someone dies of oral cancer every hour of every day. It’s a sad proposition, especially when you consider that it is highly curable with early diagnosis.
- It Wards Off Gum Disease. Gum disease, or an infection in the gum tissues and bone that keep your teeth in place, is one of the leading causes of adult tooth loss. It can be treated and reversed if diagnosed early. Unfortunately, not receiving treatment will lead to a more serious and advanced state of gum disease. Regular check-up & cleans and daily brushing and flossing are key weapons in the fight against these conditions.
- It’s About More Than Your Mouth. Sure, not getting regular check-ups may make you less kissable, but did you know that studies have linked heart attacks and strokes to gum disease associated with poor oral hygiene? A trip to our practice every 6 months could reduce your risk of serious health problems!
- Gum Disease Is Now Linked To Cancer. Lancet Oncology has confirmed that the presence of moderate gum disease contributed to a 14% risk of lung, kidney and blood cancers in both smokers and non-smokers. Chronic advanced gum disease was the most frightening – with an additional fourfold increase of head and neck cancer for each millimetre of related bone loss around teeth.
- You Want to Preserve Your Smile. As mentioned, gum disease is one of the leading causes of tooth loss in adults. To keep your pearly whites intact, regular gum analysis and professional cleans are essential.
- It’s Best to Detect Dental Problems Early. We’ve already touched upon early detection of gum disease and oral cancer, but don’t overlook more basic dental problems. Cavities and broken fillings are easy to treat. Without regular trips to the dentist, these problems can lead to root canals, gum surgery and tooth extraction. Which sounds worse: A 45-minute check-up and clean or an hour under the knife?
- Dental problems are preventable. Cavities, gum disease and tooth loss aren’t a part of life or the natural aging process. These problems are easily preventable and this is a lot more cost effective than waiting for holes to develop, teeth to break or those awful tooth aches which can prevent sleep and ruin your weekend.
- You Want to Know You’re Doing it Right. Maybe you bought a fancy new electric toothbrush, or aren’t keeping up with what current research has to say about caring for your teeth. Either way, check-ups allow us to examine your mouth and keep you on the right path.
- You Want to Upgrade Your Smile. If you’re already suffering from tooth decay or gum problems, regular appointments will allow our office to create a personalised treatment plan that will give you the best smile possible.
- You Want to Dazzle. Regular cleanings remove most tobacco, coffee and tea stains, polishing your teeth to a beautiful shine!
If it’s been more than 6 months since your last check up and clean, call us on 9488 9699 to schedule an appointment today!