Dentist in Sydney gives you some additional very important oral hygiene measures
Chlorhexidine Mouthwash reduces plaque by 55%. It also reduces cavity causing bacterial activity
- Patients should rinse for one minute twice daily. Dr. Osie’s latest recommendation is the Swiss Curasept Chlorhexidine 0.12 % toothpaste followed immediately by Curasept Chlorhexidine 0.12 % mouthwash (no alcohol and anti-discoloration formula.) This should be used one week then stop for three weeks, repeat monthly.
- Alternatively use this for 2 consecutive days per week.
- A widely obtainable alternative is Savacol Freshmint (make sure it is the Freshmint). With Savacol wait at least 30 minutes between brushing and rinsing since chlorhexidine can be inactivated by certain compounds in toothpastes. It has a bitter taste. It also binds to tannins, which are in tea, coffee, and red wine, so it has tendency to stain teeth superficially in people who drink these beverages.
- Using a specially designed device to scrape dead cells, food, bacteria and sulfur compounds from the back third of your tongue daily helps to reduce bad breath, cavities and gum disease. A tongue scraper is more effective than a toothbrush in removing bacteria.
- Wrigley’s Extra Professional is available at the supermarket.
- Chewing sugar free gum with the sweetener Xylitol listed as the first ingredient is very beneficial in stimulating saliva and reducing cavity causing bacteria.
- Chew one piece for 5-10 minutes after meals and snacks. For more information search Google for “xylitol caries”or “ chlorhexidine caries”
Protective treatment and remineralisation for enamel and exposed root surfaces
Tooth Mousse: If you are cavity prone or have receding gums and tooth sensitivity this product is very beneficial. Apply to the teeth nightly for 3 minutes and then use your tongue to spread around and swish before spitting out. Safe to swallow and use during pregnancy this help restore calcium and phosphate balance in your mouth. Hard cheeses like cheddar dissolved in the mouth is also helpful.
Recaldent gum is also very useful in preventing cavities.